What is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive and very effective treatment for various conditions, including those causing chronic or acute pain. It offers fast pain relief, helps with mobility and speeds up recovery.
How does Shockwave therapy work?
It’s a unique and powerful clinical treatment which stimulates cells into action when the healing process has slowed or stopped.
Energy is produced by way of compressed air which is focused on the area needing healing. Controlled explosive kinetic energy is dissipated through the skin penetrating the tissues and stimulating a healing response.
What conditions can Shockwave therapy help with?
It can be used to treat a range of differing conditions including:
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Achilles Tendinopathy (previously known as tendinitis)
- Chronic Calcific Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy (usually supraspinatus)
- Tennis / Golfers Elbow
- Distal Bicep Tendinopathy
- Patellar Tendinopathy
- Chronic Proximal (High) Hamstring Tendinopathy
- Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (previously known as Greater Trochanteric Bursitis)
It may also be useful for a number of other conditions and it is important to talk to a qualified Shockwave practitioner about your condition, to find out if and how it can help.
How long does Shockwave treatment take?
Typically, 3-5 treatment sessions may be required but it can take 7/8 treatments in some cases. For the treatment of cellulite, it may require between 8-12 sessions.
Treatments will also involve some home-based exercise to aid a speedy recovery.
Side-effects of Shockwave Treatment
- Possible pain during and after treatment
- Possible redness or irritation of the skin
- possible bruising or swelling
Contraindications For Shockwave Treatment
- On anticoagulants, e.g. Warfarin
- Cardiac stents/implants (treatment near the heart region)
- Over a joint or skin infection
- Over joint replacements
Shockwave therapy treatment costs
- New patients: £45 (30 minutes)
- Follow-up patients: £40 (30 minutes)
- Single shockwave treatment: £80 (treatments last approx. 20 minutes)
- 3x Shockwave treatment: £220 if paid for in advanced
- 5x Shockwave treatment: £350